Frequently Asked Questions

Problems with NSO Certificates

What is a vital event record?

A vital event record is a legal document entered in the civil register which attests to the occurrence and characteristics of a vital event. Vital events include births, deaths, marriages, among others.

If the first name on my birth certificate is different from the one that I use in all my documents and government IDs, what will I do?

File a petition for a change of first name with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where your birth was registered. You will be required to submit supporting documents and government clearances, and to publish the petition in a newspaper of general circulation.

My middle name in my birth certificate is spelled wrong. How can I correct it?

You may file a petition for correction of clerical error at the LCRO where your birth was registered. You will be required to submit documents that reflect the correct spelling of your middle name/ mother’s maiden name.

I need to apply for a passport but could not get a copy of my birth certificate from the NSO. I was told that the NSO does not have my birth record on file. What do I need to do?

Apply for late registration at the LCRO of your place of birth. Late registration is a tedious process and will require you to produce supporting documents as proof of your birth details. From the LCRO, your birth record will then be endorsed to the NSO for the issuance of the NSO copy of your birth certificate.

I was born an illegitimate child. My parents got married several years after I was born. Am I now considered legitimate?

Yes. Legitimation occurs when your parents marry, after you were born. You need to file a joint affidavit for legitimation signed by your parents, in the local civil registrar where you were born.

As an illegitimate child, how can I be allowed to use my father's surname even if my parents are not married?

According to RA 9255, an illegitimate child may use the father’s surname, by filing an Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father (AUSF) and have this registered at the local civil registrar where you were born.

What will I do if I was born female, but registered as male in my birth certificate?

You can correct this error at the local civil registrar where you were born, by virtue of RA 10172.

VERified Services

I have a problem with my PSA certificate. Can VERified help me?

We provide consultation services on how to address your PSA birth, marriage or death certificate concern. Please call our office at +63 2 7051277 or +63 2 7051265 to set an appointment for consultation. For out of town or overseas clients, we also conduct consultations via Skype, Viber or Whatsapp. You may send us your questions by email, or post them on our website, blog or Facebook page []

According to VERified, the error in my birth certificate must be corrected through a court petition. How long will it take? How much will it cost me?

The length of proceedings until the court renders a decision varies and is determined by several factors. We conservatively estimate such a case to go on for at least one year at the Regional Trial Court level.

The cost of services relating to a court case depends on several factors and cannot be determined until after an assessment of a specific case.